Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Alone Food


I am reading my new favorite book, "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant, Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone" edited by Jenni Ferrari-Adler. This book is a compilation of essays by famous foodies describing what they cook and eat when they are alone and no one is watching or judging. I love the list of people who contributed to this book namely Nora Ephron, Steve Almond, M.F.K. Fisher, Ann Patchett and several others. What I love even more is that I can compare my own single habits with others and I am pleasantly surprised to learn that I am not the only who has odd eating habits when no one is watching.

So, with all of the cooking and blogging that I do, what is it that I eat when no one is watching? I am sorry to reveal that my eating habits are dreadfully boring and my dinner time reading shows that I am also a big nerd. Pictures do not lie and yes, what you are looking at is a dinner of steamed cauliflower and broccoli with salt and pepper and a little parmesan sprinkled on top. Next to the plate is my nightly glass of wine, the computer and some reading material related to my day job.

Here is a sample of some of my other alone/comfort food (please do not judge too harshly): grapes and saltines dipped in bittersweet chocolate, buttered noodles with a poached egg on top sprinkled with walnuts and parmesan, peanut butter and jelly on toasted bread, buttered peas with salt and pepper and one of my all time favorites; white rice with a ton of salted butter. Finally, anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with goat cheese and I eat it on a daily basis. One of my most favorite desserts is goat cheese with walnuts drizzled with honey and a glass of champagne if available; bliss my darlings, absolute bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment