Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mom's Rockin' Guacamole




As my friends and family know, I have a tendency to talk down my Mom's cooking. I love my Mom to pieces but she would take her garden any day of the week over cooking. The beauty of her gardening obsession and her blasé attitude toward cooking is that she hides her disinterest so very well. Over the years, I have seen her host numerous dinner parties, family gatherings, impromptu visits from friends and of course, the dinner she made for my Dad, my Brother and me on a nightly basis. Throughout it all, I never saw her call a caterer, call in extra help, or buy a pre-made meal; she always did it all herself and it was always wonderful. So yes, she can cook but make no mistake, her heart is in her fabulous garden.

So, all of that said, my Mom has been spending her winters in Mexico for a few years now and she has amassed a treasure trove of Mexican friends who have guided her in making this guacamole; add a little of this, take out that, etc. So she has been coached and the result is some serious rockin' guac. Enjoy!

Rockin' Guacamole courtesy of my Rockin' Mom, Linda Jones.

Ingredients:

3 ripe Haas avocados
2 plum tomatoes, seeds and juice removed, diced
1/3 white onion diced
1 small lime
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon chile rellanos, seeds removed, chopped - to taste
1/2 teaspoon sauce/juice from chile rellanos - to taste

Method:

Dice the avocados and place in a large bowl. Squeeze the lime juice into the avocados and toss lightly. Add in the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, chile rellanos and juice. Toss all together and taste for seasoning. Pile mixture high on tortilla chips and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment