Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lime in the Coconut Madeleines

I had an epiphany today. I realized that I make food the way I live my life. I can never just stick with the recipe, I always have to add a little something extra.

When I was growing up, when other kids ordered chocolate or vanilla ice cream, I ordered Rocky Road. One time I got in trouble and my teacher made me write out a bunch of sentences that were on the chalk board and I wrote them all in chalk on my blue-lined notebook paper. I was amused, she most certainly was not. While everyone else took "straight jobs" or went off to grad school after college, I went to work on the campaign trail which entailed living out of my car and filing taxes in eight states in one year. As I write this, I think to myself, what kind of deranged nut am I?

Good news is that I have come to terms with being a little bit off-kilter. I have also come to terms with the abundance of freckles on my face, my thighs (ok, not completely but I am getting better), my nose that always looks off-center in pictures and the refusal of the scale needle to move to the left instead of the right. I would never want to look as perfect and therefore as boring as Holly.

So, with that, I bring you madeleines that are also a bit off-kilter. These are not typical and will be a little bit odd upon taste but in such an interesting and yummy way. There are a million ways to make Madeleines and since my son loves these and I get board easily, this is one recipe in a long line of possibilities for these delicate little treats. I posted the original version of Madeleines last year and since then, I love to add ingredients that will add a little interest to an otherwise petite vanilla cake. Enjoy! AJ

Recipe adapted from Barefoot in Paris by, Ina Garten


Ingredients:

1/1/2 tablespoons melted butter, to grease the pans
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 pound (1 stick) salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger

Method:

Preheat the oven to 375. Thoroughly grease and flour the madeleine pans.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until light yellow and fluffy. Add the butter and mix. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and stir into the batter with a rubber spatula. Stir in the coconut, lime juice, zest and ginger.

With a soup spoon, drop the batter into the pans, filling each shell almost full. Bake the madeleines for 10-12 minutes, until they spring back when pressed. Tap the madeleines out onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment