Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies




I cannot tell a lie, I sometimes skimp on recipes. One of my worst tendencies is to not toast the nuts when the recipe calls for it. Bad! I will never skimp again because I am convinced the toasted pecans in this recipe, is what makes the flavor. A colleague at work said it almost had a praline like taste to it. I agree with him but I also think it has a really unique buttery cinnamon and caramel like quality to it. A fabulous combination.

These cookies are dangerously addictive so consider yourself warned. Enjoy! AJ - XO

Recipe adapted from "Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics" by Ina Garten:

1 1/2 cups pecans
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature (I use Kerry Gold)
1 cup light brown sugar packed
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool. Chop very coarsely.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

Refrigerate the dough for about a half an hour. Drop tablespoon size mounds of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am your Aunt Kathy's friend. She just told me about your blog this morning and I couldn't wait to check it out! As I also LOVE to cook and eat really good food (and I teach Home & Careers) your site is right up my alley! It's fabulous and I promise to be a frequent flyer! The only problem is after looking through the site, I'm not sure what to try first....Regards....Sharon

    ReplyDelete