Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chocolate Chip Oatie Cookies


I have a confession, I am not a great Mom. I use the TV as a babysitter way more than I should, I don't constantly talk to my son describing everything we pass by as all the studies say you should, I forget to bring family photos and stuffed animals to daycare when the teachers ask me to and I have lost it a few more times than I care to admit. I must be incredibly lucky because somehow, despite my many shortcomings, my kid always has a sunny disposition and continues to laugh at bunnies hopping, tickles, sloppy kisses and bubbles in the bath.

So, do I try to compensate for what I lack with these cookies? You bet. Whenever I bring these out to the little man, he says, "Wow Mommy, these are delicious!" This makes my day and I have no reservations about peddling these to hear my boy tell me that he loves me even though I am a work in progress. So, to all of the Mom's out there who are just doing the best they can, trying to keep all of the balls in the air, take a step back, marvel at the little miracles you created and make these cookies as a treat to yourself and your kids, you both deserve it. XO – AJ

Recipe:

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup or 2 sticks butter softened (I use Kerry Gold Pure Irish Butter)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I use Madagascar Vanilla)
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Combine four, baking soda, salt and oatmeal in a bowl, stir with a fork and set aside. Combine butter, both sugars, and vanilla extract in a stand mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed or until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly. Add in flour mixture with mixer on lowest speed until just combined - do not over beat! Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips. Drop tablespoon sized balls onto baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until cookies have a very light caramel color to them. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets for 15 minutes. Remove cookies to newspapers, paper towels or wire racks to cool.

Note:
• Sometimes I like to press the center of the cookie down a bit and sprinkler a few grains of sea salt before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment