Monday, April 26, 2010

Meyer Lemon Drop Ginger Pound Cake



So there I was corralling my child in Whole Foods when I spotted them from afar. They were all sitting there in a big pile like a mountain of orange jewels begging me to dump as many as possible into my bag. I could feel myself start to salivate as I moved closer to the citrus goodness that is the very-difficult-to-find-in-a-middle-state, Meyer Lemon. I felt like a pirate about to capture a bounty of gold after searching for it on the open sea for way too long. I had no idea what I was going to do with the lemons but I threw reason out the window and grabbed about ten of them.

I kept those gorgeous lemons sitting on my counter for about a week trying to figure out how I was going to use them while simultaneously admiring their simple beauty and the fact that I even had them in my possession. I decided to use those lemons in pound cake but I also wanted to throw in another ingredient that would give it a little bite. Enter candied ginger. The combination worked wonderfully together and the flavor truly did pop with the delectable combination of ginger and lemon intermingling with butter and sugar. If you come across Meyer lemons, rush home immediately and make this! Enjoy! AJ

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon sour cream
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
13 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest

Glaze:
1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 8x4 inch loaf pan with PAM.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix with a fork. Set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter and sugar for a few minutes. Add the eggs, milk, sour cream and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the candied ginger.

Scrape the batter into a prepared loaf pan or 4 small loaf pans. The smaller loaf pans are what I used. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.

For the glaze:

While the cakes are baking, combine the granulated sugar and juice in a small pan over medium heat until it dissolves completely. Let cool and then add the powdered sugar. While the loafs are still hot, put them on a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Pour the glaze all over the load and let it sit until completely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment