Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Black Beans and Rice



My life is a crazy tornado of activity. There is a routine, everything is structured and there is no sitting around. I am definitely one of those people who falls asleep before my head hits the pillow. This is by no means a complaint, I actually prefer the craziness, the more I do, the more energized and alive I feel.

So, with the whirlwind of activity, getting healthy meals into my little guy's mouth is not always easy. The key is in the planning and reheating is my friend. I use the weekends to do the grocery shopping and make as much as possible ahead of time. Sometimes though, I have to throw things together at the last minute because I do not always plan well. To that end, rice and beans are my friend. I keep a stock of canned beans in my cabinets and pasta and rice are always on hand. Beans alone will not make the little man happy but throw in some rice and something bright like an avocado or tomatoes and we are in business. Bonus is that this meal will last a few days and I am of the mind that if a child eats the same thing a few days in a row, he will be just fine.

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked white rice
1 15 oz can black beans drained
1 teaspoon salted butter
1 medium Spanish onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 fresh lime juiced
Cilantro (Optional)
1 whole Haas avocado, pit removed and sliced lenghtwise

Method:

Make the white rice according to package instructions.

While the rice cooks, in a skillet, melt the butter and cook the onions over medium heat until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for one more minute. Add a little salt and pepper. Add in the black beans and cook for about five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, the lime juice and chopped cilantro if desired.

Serve with the avocado fanned out over the bean mixture and salt and pepper top to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment