Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One-Eyed Jack







I know this is simple but I feel a need to post this since it puts me in a happy place. This is my breakfast staple almost everyday and for a person with the attention span of a fly, it is a miracle that I continue to eat this every morning. This is comfort food before work and let me just say, that the breakfast folks, should market more comfort food before work. I don't know about you but I need comfort food during the week, not on the weekend when I am happy and fully comfortable.

For those of you who can never find a breakfast that will carry you through to lunch, I think this might be the answer. This along with a cup of coffee always carries me through and for some reason, I feel more alert in the morning with this breakfast. Maybe it's the protein, I don't know but it works. Enjoy!

Recipe:

1 slice whole grain bread (I use my homemade bread but I prefer Brownberry Whole Grain Bread if I don't have mine on hand)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon salted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat and cut a hole into the bread. When the butter is melted, add the bread to the pan and soak the bread in the butter on both sides. Crack the egg directly into the hole of the bread and sprinkle salt and pepper all over the egg and the the bread and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes. With a large spatula, flip the bread and egg over in the skillet. Cook for an additional 2 minutes and add more salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment