Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread



Okay, so maybe I should say half of the bread. I made this yesterday before I got this blog up and running. I have always thought that banana bread, no matter how many flavor uppers are added, is inherently bland. So, I found a recipe that had sour cream in the ingredients and I had to try it. Sour cream, in my opinion, can perform magic in so many dishes with its thick and slightly sour quality that really bumps up flavor. I also added in walnuts and chocolate chips to see if I could add a little more complexity. It turned out very well and my son loved it! I put 1 cup of chocolate chips into this recipe but I think I might add in a little less next time. The chips seemed to overwhelm the banana flavor whereas it really should enhance. I will try this again in a few days and modify this post based on the next try.

***One very serious note here, I am working on getting a better camera and acquiring better photography skills. Until then, the amazing photos seen on seemingly every other blog on earth will not be appearing here...at least not yet.

Recipe:
11 tablespoons Butter (at room temperature)
3 very ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Spray PAM in a 91/4 by 51/4 by 21/2 inch loaf pan

Puree mashed bananas, sour cream, eggs, butter and vanilla with a paddle attachment in mixer.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Add flour mixture in with banana mixture until just combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Bread should be lightly browned and spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and leave in pan for about 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack lined with a paper towel.

Xoxo - AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment