Thursday, December 14, 2017

Spiced Biscotti


There I was last night, swearing I would not turn on the TV.  I told myself, "Don't do this to yourself.  You can't take the heartbreak."

I cleaned half the house, did some laundry, worked on this blog...and then I couldn't take it any longer.  I had to see what was up in Alabama.  I turned on MSNBC and saw Roy Moore leading.  "Son of a B----!!!!!!  Mother of God, WHY, WHY?????"  My son came down the stairs to ask if I was ok.  "Yes, love...just mourning the end of decency, that's all."  


I flipped on Netflix to the only show that could calm my nerves, The Great British Baking Show.  I watched a group of people being helpful to one another and competing for none other than the honor of doing well.  I watched two episodes and it calmed me.  At this point, my significant other, let's just call him, Manny, because he looks like Manny Pacquiao , was home and checking his phone while I ever so dramatically mourned the end of our Republic.  


All of a sudden he said, "Doug Jones won!"  I thought he was kidding.  I checked my own phone and saw the news outlets calling the race for Jones.  Christmas came early.

Thank you to the good people of Alabama for sending an honorable person to represent them in the Senate.



For the biscotti, I needed to dial back the sugar a bit from all of the holiday treats I have been baking. Plus, this recipe is about as easy as it gets and it will keep for about a month in a sealed container.

This is from Cook's Illustrated.  Recipe here.  To the mixture, I added 3/4 cup raisins that had soaked in Brandy overnight.  I also threw in some of the macerating liquid to the bake before I shaped them into loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment