Monday, July 29, 2019

West Coast Road Trip: Portland

Multnomah Falls
Day 3:  We headed out early in the morning from Seattle to get to Portland with a stop at Multnomah Falls.  I have been to this waterfall a few times and it always takes my breath away.  We did the hike up to the top of the falls which is just under 2 miles one way on somewhat steep and uneven terrain.  Absolutely worth it because the crowds thin out significantly and the view from above is breathtaking. 


Top of the Falls

Midway Down from the Top
Next we headed out to Portland for a well deserved lunch and my favorite tea.  We stopped at the food trucks that dot the city and lucky for us, there were several clustered in an area that is just over the bridge when we entered the city around 5th Ave.  The enterprising owners will usually be sticking their hands out of their trucks with samples of their food.  Good luck making a choice.  I always stop at these trucks when I hit Portland and I have yet to eat anything that is not incredible.  We went with a Filipino truck and a neighboring Greek/Persian truck for Pork Adobo and a very large Gyro wrapped up like a burrito.  The Adobo was salty and sweet piled on top of sticky rice with some crunch from cabbage slaw.  The Gyro had lamb and a creamy tzatziki sauce wrapped up in a warm tortilla sort of wrap.  It was certainly not pita bread.  Delicious, whatever ever it was.

Pork Adobo

Gyro wrapped like a burrito


Smith Tea

Next we stopped at Smith Tea which was only about a mile away and over the bridge.  My son had the Chai Latte and I had the Sparkling Strawberry Honeybush cold tea.  It took about ten minutes to get the order out to us, which was fine since we were both happy to just sit and take a break.  The Chai was not sweetened which lead to my son taking a sip and leaving the rest to me.  It was delicious but if you want sticky sweet, this is not the place.  That said, my honeybush drink did have a little bit of sweet to it along with bubbles which was just what I needed to get back on the road.

Tillamook Creamery
We got back in the car for the long drive down to Tillamook Ceramery on our way to Lincoln City where we would be sleeping that night.  Tillamook was about an hour and a half from Portland.  I would not recommend a special trip just for the creamery but if you are on your way down the coast, go for it.  The tour is about the length of a hallway where you can view the cheese making and packaging process from above.  They have cheese out to taste and downstairs there are various food options all with, you guessed it, cheese somewhere in each dish.  Top that off with ice cream and that is your dinner for the night.  Ice cream and my digestive system don't have the best relationship these days so I usually let my son order.  He got the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and I did take a taste.  Delicious.

Tillamook Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment